Why is the EffiMat® microload so much faster than traditional vertical lifts?
The new technical principle and paradigm behind is completely new and different!
Does it make sense to move +400 kg and 4 meter wide steel trays up and down a vertical lift to pick one or a few small items – as is customary with traditional VLMs?
The answer is:
No. In most cases is doesn’t make sense, it’s just the way it has been done since the VLM was introduced!
The EffiMat® and its new principle changes the paradigm for how a vertical lift should work.
- The items are stored in standard totes or boxes (40 x 60 cm or 60 x 80 cm) at flexible heights. Either as one type of item per box or by splitting the box into smaller compartments
- An intelligent lift, divided into sections, takes boxes from or deliver to a standard shelving structure. It just handles the relevant boxes and leaves the others.
- The intelligent lift can shift the boxes sideways on the lift itself
- The sideways movements allow openings in the side of the EffiMat®
- The principle allows for a much lighter construction of the lift as it doesn’t have a heavy steel tray to carry
Video – The EffiMat is 4-5 times faster than a traditional VLM – Click here
An example Case:
An order with 10 orderlines (different types of items) to pick Traditional VLM:
In real life, a traditional VLM will be able to pick 2 items from the same tray in typically 20% of the cases. In other words, on average, it has to bring 8 trays up and down in order to pick 10 items / order-lines
Will bring 10 single boxes to pick 10 order-lines – this happens thanks to one vertical sequence taking boxes from different vertical levels of the machine
- The number of vertical movements is only 1/8 of comparable movements
- Each vertical movement is faster due to the light weight moving off and on the lift
- Each horizontal movement to taking/placing boxes is faster due to light weight handled per box instead of per tray
- Speed can be improved even further by adding openings in the sides of the machine allowing automated replenishment and integration with other systems
I need a solution, not a machine!
Challenges are never solved by products alone but merely by solutions customized to solve the actual challenge! At EffiMat Storage Technology you will find that these words are not just a phrase or a slogan – it is the way we work !
Read more about our logistics analysis & consultancy here!